Saturday, August 14, 2010

WHAT I’VE GOTTEN USED TO AND NOT IN TIMOR LESTE

Would I eat dog? Five weeks ago I might have pondered the question before eating dog meat, now I just dig in. Yes, I did eat dog and it tasted like a cross between beef jerky and venison.

Anytime I travel to a new place there are always many customs that I need to adapt to. Sometimes I am surprised what I adapt to, other times I just can’t make the transition. In Timor-Leste, this is no different. I have been surprised how quickly I’ve gotten used to not having electricity during the day and taking cold bucket baths. I even have master and no longer mind the squat toilet; you just learn to balance well on your haunches. Now, I just need to master reading while sitting on my haunches. I haven’t been able to adapt to the local custom of wiping with the left hand instead of toilet paper. Splurging for toilet paper is a worthy expense for me. As I mentioned in a previous blog, I’ve gotten used to much of the food, though after my first couple weeks I thought I’d never get there. I have gotten used to trying to communicate in the local language though I often give a mishmash of Tetun, Baikeno, Bahasa (Indonesian), Spanish, Portuguese, and English; somehow understanding is achieved, though it takes awhile sometimes. I’m learned to be able to drive on the left side of the road and shift gears with my left hand. I’m still getting used to riding the motorbike and I will be accustomed soon. I haven’t gotten used to not having access to the outside world on a regular basis. Having internet and phone only once a week and only at night when there is electricity has been trying. I don’t miss not having TV at all, though I do watch movies on my computer from time to time. I have even gotten used to blogging again.

No comments: