Saturday, August 28, 2010

COCK FIGHTS

I went to my first true cock fight tonight. It was a fight to the death. Once was enough for me.

Marie Anne and I had gone to find a couple tapstand locations, when we noticed the two work vehicles at the local medical clinic. I thought for sure someone must have gotten hurt. Seeing how bad the roads are, I was sure it must have been a motorcycle accident. I parked the motorbike and we went up to the clinic, but no one was there. So we looked around back and saw a large commotion.

One hundred and fifty or so people had gathered to look over the roosters and, of course, watch/bet on the fights. All in all, about a dozen and a half people, including three of my work colleagues had brought roosters to compete, though in the end only a few dared to.

After a bunch of sizing up, two roosters were prepared to fight. On the left foot, where the spur protrudes out, a 3 or 4 inch razor sharp dagger blade was affixed to each rooster. Once prepared, the roosters were brought into the ring. They were allowed to peck at each other so to become riled up. Once riled up enough the sheaths were removed from the blade and they went after each other. After a couple minutes, one rooster disembowelled the other to win the fight. The winner gets money, the loser gets a chicken dinner, a real treat!

No comments: