Saturday, August 28, 2010

NOW THAT’S SERVICE

Good service is not a common thing in Timor-Leste. Just getting service at all is an accomplishment. Okay, I’m not being fair. Service in a person’s home is always gracious and warm. Many businesses also give service that, though not good, isn’t that bad. The thing is that there are very few examples of good service.

Today, I did get good service, from the government. A task that was supposed to take from 4 to 6 weeks ended up only taking a week and a half. And to think that I was worried that it wouldn’t be finished by the time I leave Timor-Leste in early October.

The thing is that I can’t give credit to Timor-Leste for this one. My hats off go to the much lambasted and criticized U.S. Government. Yep, that passport renewal that required processing in Jakarta, Indonesia before the passport could be printed in the U.S. at a passport agency, and then mailed to the U.S. Embassy in Dili took all of eight days. They told me it would take four to six weeks. I didn’t even ask for the speedy service. All I can say is, “Wow!” and “Thank You.” Heaven knows that I certainly didn’t expect it.

No comments: