Saturday, July 31, 2010

SPEAKING IN TONGUES

I always wondered after learning Spanish well enough to get around, if I would be able to learn a 3rd language well. I doubt that I will learn Tetun well in the three months that I will be in Timor-Leste, but at least I’m seriously trying to learn the language; I’m definitely not doing it for the fun of it. I am noticing that learning that learning this 3rd language is different in many ways. First, I can’t seem to get it past my head that this is a third language and not Spanish. I keep having the tendency to switch into Spanish if it’s not English being spoken.

Second, I’m much more patient and realistic. I know a lot better what is attainable. I’m not so frustrated that I don’t understand that much after three weeks. I’m really relishing the small improvements and not dwelling on my failure to accomplish the whole learning process at once. I guess I have realized that learning a language is hard, takes time, and can’t be done Matrix style by download through a cord directly to the head; though I do concede that this would be nice.

Third, I can listen and not understand and be all right with it. I guess I did this while learning Spanish, but what I usually did was not focus on anything that I didn’t understand. Now I seem to be able to not understand, and still focus on the sentence. What I mean is that, I don’t quit paying attention or get caught up when I hear a word I don’t understand. As is the case with most languages, they are redundant so understanding every word is not important; it is getting the gist of what is being said that counts. It was a big step for me in Spanish when I was able to let the words that I didn’t know by without my brain getting caught on them, I’m happy to see that I’ve retained that skill.

No comments: