Saturday, July 24, 2010

AM I JUST HERE TO BABYSIT?

Every day I feel like I’m babysitting. I have to tell everyone I’m working with how to do everything. The moment I turn my back, they are taking a shortcut that undermines the water system’s quality. The only way I can get the final result I desire is to never take my eyes off the projects I’m working on. This applies not only to the communities I’m working in, who I could expect to not be trained in how to do the tasks I’m asking, but the technicians who have been working on these projects from about three months to a year. They have done this before. Okay, maybe I should give them more leniency, but it just doesn’t seem right that I who am learning how to do something for the first time (e.g. making formwork or squaring a tank base and making it level) am showing them when they have at least helped do it before. I know, I should remember all the education I’ve had, especially the engineering part since many of the tasks are technical, but it now feels as if it is common sense. Just because it feels like common sense doesn’t mean I should expect others to know it. I guess I’m just frustrated and am tired to hold hands of, what are supposed to be, experienced technicians through task after task. The easiest solution will be to expand my patience threshold.

No comments: