Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Going to Afghanistan

I will be leaving for Afghanistan soon.  I have taken a job with USAID as an infrastructure advisor.  I'm excited and a little scared for this opportunity. I'll be working in a combat zone, where I will travel by helicopter or military cargo plane from area to area.  On the ground I will be in a hot (ready to shoot) convoy of armored humvees and MRAPs (mine resistant vehicles).  The days will be long as most days I will work 12 hours or so.  I'm not sure how I will cope with all this.

Why am I going?  I'm not really sure.  For one part I see this as an opportunity for my future.  It will provide valuable experience for securing future jobs as well as making me financially secure in the present.  I partially see it as a challenge, something new to be tried.  There is also a part of curiosity, where I want to know firsthand what is going on in Afghanistan. 

Many people have expressed concern for my safety.  For certain, my safety is at greater risk in Afghanistan than in most other places, but I have looked into and feel fairly certain about the measures which are in place to keep me safe.

I will be writing in my blog regularly and will have good internet access. 

No comments: